Biblical Foundation for Teaching through Heartfelt Ministries and the Free to Love Conference.
Foundational principles from the Bible on human sexual relationships are as follows:
1. Humans, being created in the image of God, are inherently relational beings (Genesis 1:26).
2. The inherent relational nature of humankind is expressed in a variety of contexts including family, marriage, work, and for Christians, the body of Christ (Hebrews 10:24-25; 1 Corinthians 12:14).
3. Humans were created male and female and expressly blessed by God to be fruitful and multiply and to exercise dominion over the earth (Genesis 1:26-28).
4. Sexual union is intended by God to take place only within the marriage covenant between a man and a woman (Genesis 2:18, 21-24; Hebrews 13:4), which Jesus reaffirms (Matthew 19:4-6).
5. The New Testament teaches that followers of Christ are to remain celibate outside the bond of marriage. In sexual union, both body and soul are deeply impacted. A person who engages in sexual unions outside the bond of marriage sins against his or her own body, which is the temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 6:13, 18-20).
6. The sexual union within the marriage covenant between a man and a woman has been designed by God to bring them together as “one flesh,” creating a solid foundation on which to build a family (Genesis 2:18-24; Ephesians 5:31).
7. Christ’s redemptive death frees believers from past guilt and shame resulting from sexual sins. He died for our sins that in him we might have guilt-free sexual relations in marriage. “Let the marriage bed be held in honor by all and the marriage bed be undefiled.” (Hebrews 13:4) God’s plan for marital sex is for the husband and wife to enjoy a satisfying sexual relationship. A relationship free from shame and which requires trust, faith and work, constant prayer and reliance on the grace of God.(1 Corinthians 7:3-5; Genesis 2:25; Proverbs 5:15; Song of Solomon;Ephesians 5:33).
Heartfelt Ministries disciples women through Bible studies, conferences, workshops, small groups and individual relationships toward understanding and embracing their God-given sexuality as reflected in the above scriptures and statements. Any deviation from the biblical standard is an opportunity for individuals to experience repentance, grace, and redemption in order to glorify God and to obey the Truth of His Word.
Dr. Joneal Kirby and Heartfelt Ministries believe in the necessity of fellowship within the community of a church. As the Family of God, local churches can and should embrace, love, minister to and disciple all struggling believers who are walking in the way of Jesus. (1 John 1)
“This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.”
1 John 1:5-10 (NKJV)